Clean for Your Health this Fall
A deep fall cleaning is a great way to prepare your home for a long winter. Just like a spring cleaning opens up your home following the cold, frigid temperatures, a fall cleaning is really your last opportunity to clear your home’s air before being shut tight again. Not only does a fall cleaning get to those areas you’ve probably ignored all summer (we see you crisper drawer and back of closet) but it can actually improve your health by mitigating respiratory issues and helping to prevent colds and flu.
Deep Clean to Breathe Easy
According to the CDC, the inside of our homes has numerous forms of air pollution; bacteria, mold, animal dander, cat saliva, dust mites, cockroach and pollen can be related to serious health effects like allergies and asthma.
Combat these pollutants by:
- Using synthetic rather than feather down pillows to cut down on dust mites.
- Vacuum your bed base and mattress weekly.
- Change your bedding weekly and wash all comforters, mattress covers, pillows, blankets in the hottest water possible per the manufacturer’s laundering guidelines.
- Vacuum your blinds and curtains. Consider eliminating fabric wall hangings all together.
- Purchase stuffed toys that are machine washable.
- Use a HEPA filter vacuum (like The Maids does) to control airborne dust.
- Keep pets away from upholstered furniture, carpeted areas and reduce their exposure where you sleep.
- Thoroughly vacuum and wipe down your pet’s area.
- Clean all your ceiling-mounted light fixtures, including fan blades and lights.
- Change your HVAC filter frequently to mitigate mold.
- Check and clean drip pans in air conditioners, refrigerators and dehumidifiers.
- Maintain an ideal humidity temperature in your home of 40 to 60 percent.
- Use exhaust fans when you can’t open windows.
Deep Clean to Stop the Spread of Viruses
When fall arrives, so do coughs and colds and if one person in your home gets sick, it seems like everyone gets sick. A good fall cleaning helps clear away months of clutter so you can easily disinfect those areas everyone touches. Which is good because cold and flu viruses can survive on items for a few hours up to a few days. For this cleaning job, use a disinfecting cleaner and paper towel to eliminate germs and throw them in the trash when done.
Be sure to wipe down:
- Mobile and landline phones.
- Remote controls (one of the most touched and least cleaned items in your home).
- Bathroom faucets, light switches, toilet seats and handles.
- Computers, including keyboards, screens and mouse. Be sure to check the maker’s instructions so you don’t damage your machine.
- Kitchen tables, coffee tables, end tables, play-area tables – all the tables.
Everyone wants a clean, healthy home but some just don’t have the time to get the job done right. That’s where The Maids come in. Our Fall and Spring Cleaning Service is more than just a regular house cleaning. We’ll delve into the nooks and crannies of your home, clearing out dust from places you had forgotten. We’ll also clean your carpets and furniture with our HEPA-equipped backpack vacuums, which can capture up to 99 percent of pollen and allergens from your home.
Enjoy the weather while it lasts and contact us instead for a free estimate for a professional fall cleaning.